I am entering my 7th year of homeschooling. You would think I may have learned something by now. I haven’t. Well that is a lie. I have learned a few things.
1. Don’t say yes to everything. When we have our under socialized children (said very tongue in cheek) in every class available it gets overwhelming. Now times that by 6 and you have total and complete chaos. For the sake of my sanity the kids are signed up for 3 things each except the younger 2. We have Piano, singing lessons, and now we have added Dance to our repertoire of things we do out of the house. But we have had to turn down some really good options as well. We are out of the house every day of the week, and that is me turning stuff down. Although I do LOVE having so much good to choose from.
2. Don’t answer the phone during learning time. Seriously! if you need to turn off the ringer then do so. I have had days where we were having a great lesson and the phone rang, I (stupidly)answered it and it took close to 2 hours to get back on track again.
3. Plan. I know, easy but hard. Unschooling/Core phase (for you Tjeders out there) has been my modus operandi until recently. I have found that having a plan to follow and stick to (Not religiously, mid you, but loosely, and some days VERY loosely) has saved my sanity. We are entering Scholar phase and I am very excited about it. But need to plan.
4. Don’t fear Failure. Honestly the only failure is giving up. If you homeschool, or have decided to homeschool, or heck even if you public school, failure is a fantastic lesson. If your kids see you fall and pick yourself back up again and again and again then they are learning perseverance. I mean if you have a day or a week where you don’t even look at your plan because of illness, flooding or just plain laziness, pick yourself dust yourself off and start. over. Think of Bruce and the Spider. Education is a 24 hours day thing not just a 9-3 event.
5. What is the lesson? A good friend of mine always reminds me that “Family is the lesson”. She got that from a blog I can’t remember the title of. If any knows it please let me know. But very good words of advice.